Today we honour the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. we acknowledge that we continue to learn about and contribute to Truth and Reconciliation in Canada. We want to listen and learn together about the history of our country and the atrocities of the residential school system. All Canadians can walk together on a new path towards creating a better, more inclusive Canada.
At Gateway Casinos we take pride in the relationships we have with First Nations and Métis communities (FNMC) across the country. To commemorate and honour the day all of our locations throughout Canada participated in a number of initiatives:
– Staff and customers were encouraged to wear an orange shirt.
– Over 3,500 orange ribbon were distributed. For a small donation, staff received a ribbon and all proceeds went to support a local Indigenous non-profit organization.
– Sites selected their organization in collaboration with local First Nations and Metis community leaders.
– Collectively, we donated more than $17,000 to local organizations that support Indigenous initiatives throughout our communities.
– At Casino Rama Resort, which has a very special relationship with Rama First Nation, they held a ceremony on site to recognize and honour the Indigenous children who were sent to residential schools in Canada.